Thursday, July 8, 2010

Entry 5 - Signs, signs, everywhere a sign...



For Entry 5, we are tasked with designing several 'alternative' signs while tossing typical 'sign-convention' out the window. That shared - here's my first two designs. These are Men's and Women's restroom doors. I can imagine these in any bar or any seafood restaurant that offers a nautical or pirate climate. The differences in the two though may be a bit too subtle to allow them for use in establishments where there might be non-regular and/or heavy drinkers.

As I attested too earlier, I enjoy pirate lore. Perhaps a similar design might make it to my den/family room/man-cave in the future.




This next design is my take on a sign for a Janitor's closet. Having been in the telecommunications industry for over 10 years, too often I have found that businesses place their telephone and networking equipment into the same closet shared or used by their janitorial staff. I've actually seen wet mops propped up against $10,000 pieces of equipment. That said, I figured I would help out the world so they can better label their Janitor's Closets/Telecommunications Rooms.



While taking my symbol and arrow photographs for posts 3 and 4, I realized that all the fire control equipment in my building uses the universally recognized red color for the fire-safety equipment/panels/controls. Yet, I distinctly recall that, scientifically, green is the most eye-catching color. I recall a mall security vehicle in central PA that used green lights instead of red, blue or orange. Wow! Did the green ever get your attention. That said - why not green for your fire extinguisher sign? My first draft was about 2nd Grade level basic with crayon-like flames, but I managed to get a little 'Gimping' done for this end result.



Hopefully, I don't come off as to unoriginal on this next one. I recall when I worked for Rite Aid corporation, that the 3rd floor of the corporate HQ only covered about 1/4th of the rest of the building. With about 2000 employees between floors 1 and 2, you would think that floor 3 would house about 250 employees, right? Wrong. It was a suite of lavish offices set aside for VPs, presidents and the CIO, CFO and CEO. About 30 employees if you counted assistants and administrative staff. In the 2 and 1/2 years I worked there, I was allowed up there just one time, and it was as a random participant in a lunch with the CEO sort of thing. The bathroom on the 3rd floor was amazing. It was about 10 times bigger than the men's room I used on the second floor. Marble counter tops, fancy sinks, rich looking artwork and luxurious paint. I was surprised to not have a valet attending it. Also around that time, I recall getting an image in the early days of "forwarded emails" of a two story outhouse with the top outhouse labeled executive washroom. Hence my inspiration to create this sign:





Here's my parking garage. Recently, the U of Az has started a project to install solar panels on their garage roofs which I think is a great idea. I live in one of the most sunniest cities in the USA, and yet, solar panels are a rarity. It's a shame really. So that was my motivation. Curiously, this parking garage sign has all Mini Coopers in it...



This is my last, an exit sign. Along with pirates I like zombies. (For the record, I like ninjas too - I actually own a 1-a-day t-shirt featuring a combination zombie-ninja-pirate - might be I will have a reason to share the image with the class in the future as it's pretty neat). I saw a sign similar to the right half the below sign in a subway once. I thought it funny that the exiting character looked like he was running. So I thought to myself, "What are you running from? Bears? Naaa. Rodents of unusual size? Not likely. Oh. I know. Zombies. Of course."

No comments:

Post a Comment